Studio IV, spring 2023 -data visualization + intelligent environments
- create a design for the TCS building
- different levels of interactions
- ability to critically map human behavior and shaping it in an environment
- research through design and making
- understanding how an intelligent system works
- tangile interactions
- embed into the environment
- cues to help with studying + focus
- energy + environmental impacts of the space
- space capacity + comfortability
color of ambient light
health of the system
TCS Building info:
- most sensors are attached to the ceiling
- open floor plan in the entry
- 2 story lobby, classrooms, and offices
- 90,000 sq ft
- uses 32% less energy than a conventional building of similar size and use
- 30% of building materials include recycled content
- allows users to adjust interior temp.
- CO2 sensors trigger system to cycle fresh air into the building
- healthy environment maintained through the use of low VOC materials and finishes
- manipulating the space
- filters/projects on the large windows to measure and change ambient light in the space(auto blinds to filter light in different ways)
- tangible, emotion-packed interactions
- student’s relationship with the space(context + storytelling)
- acoustical curtain to adjust ambient noise in studying spaces
- incorporating the outside into the building(environmental feedback)
- modular furniture design
- gesture based project mapping (gamification)
- what data is most useful/essential?
- how do we create more physical & mental awareness in this space?
- attract, inspire, engage, and deepen
- memorable, meaningful, transformative
- no emotion = no memory
- “perception of the world”- reassess your place in the world
- themes: productivity, safety, sustainability, history, spatial awareness
- communal reward for sustainable behaviors; Goal updates everyday about reducing energy consumption, when the goal is reached the experience turns on at night.
- Animalize the patterns/particles, Interacts with people in the space. A symbol for campus sustainability. Experience powered by excess energy conserved in the building.
- Motivates people to save energy. Creature won’t appear if sustainable goal not met.
- Day: goal progress bar projected on opaque smart film. Text: (time) until magical creature appears tonight if the goal is reached. Motivation through gamification.
- (goal not reached) Night: creature hides or only in the stairwell.
- (goal reached) Night: project patterns/particles/other organic imagery in the space. Responds to people’s movement and sound in the staircase. -Playful interactions visible inside (staircase) and outside (windows) the building, triggering curiosity.
How might we use real-time data in a shared space to increase people’s spatial and environmental awareness?
Max Stockdale - Bugbyte
Spring 2023 | Luca Cao, Yash Mittal, Max Stockdale Brief: Shared public spaces are being equipped with IoT devices…
-have more behaviors. right now they are on the extremes(more colors w/ associated behaviors)
-Outline how different data points are used to inform bugbyte’s behavior
(make bugbyte interactive.. it plays w the user.. deeper personal connection; particles come into the phone? more integrated in the app.
can have multiple bugbytes in the staircase
-can give sneak peek of concept video early on (on the concept title slide)??
where to put the projectors? how would projection mapping work?
-Can we get the still model with the bee and generative trail animation?