- Define a research question/topic
- document topic and criteria
- tying my research question back to my current work in studio
- How does a given environment affect people?
- How do environments elicit emotions in us?
- How can environments encourage a positive mindset, inspire creativity, improve mental health?
- How does space/environment contribute to mental health problems
narrowing down research question
— the impact of light & color —
Mental health studies associated with lighting in the workspace
I’ve always wanted to go into more depth about lighting and color and how it affects your health and wellbeing. Environments is all about designing experiences, so learning more about the impact of lighting will help me design more engaging experiences to connect with people on a deeper level.
- When light biologically impacts us, it can improve or disrupt our sleep, cognition and overall wellbeing. It can improve mood and stabilize our circadian rhythms, helping us get a better and deeper nights sleep. Psychologically, light can decrease depression scores and even increase cognitive performance such as reaction time and activation.
- Environmental Cognition- a way of processing information in a real world settings using memory for geographic location and finding your way
- the affects of natural light: Increased hours of sunlight heighten the brain’s production of the mood-enhancing chemical serotonin. Studies have discovered that the more sunlight we are exposed to, the more serotonin we produce.
- designing spaces to incorporate more natural light(light therapy)
- research on redesign strategies to improve personal space(maximizing results)
How might we design environments in terms of lighting and color to improve mental health and wellbeing/inspire creativity?